EFT – Emotional Freedom Technique
What is EFT?
EFT is a cutting-edge form of “mindful acupressure” developed in the early 1990s. This emotional healing is capable of dramatically relieving many physical symptoms like pain and aches from mild headaches to severe chronic back pain, from ulcers to asthma and more as well as on healing emotional trauma, fears and phobias, grief, anger, guilt, anxiety, etc.
It is based on a revolutionary new discovery that violates most of the beliefs within conventional medicine and psychology. It contends that the cause of all negative emotions is a disruption in the body’s energy system. When there is negative emotion in our mind, Prana otherwise known as Chi in China and Ka in Egypt , flow is disrupted ,which results in dis- ease.
With EFT, we gently tap with our fingertips on energy points (or acupuncture meridians) on our face and body while tuning in to specific thoughts and feelings. If our negative feelings have been disallowing our physical health or our relationships to others and ourselves in any way, we can use a mindful “tapping” to shift our experience --- and change how negative feelings affect our bodies and our lives.
With remarkable consistency, EFT relieves symptoms by a seemingly strange (but scientific) routine which employs tapping with the fingertips on various body locations. This tapping serves to balance energy meridians which become disrupted when the client thinks about or becomes involved in an emotionally disturbing circumstance.
The actual memory stays the same, but the charge is gone. Typically, this result is lasting. Cognition often changes in a healthy direction as a natural consequence of the healing.
What does EFT work on? How will it help me?
Tapping has been shown to provide relief from chronic pain, emotional problems, disorders, addictions, phobias, post traumatic stress disorder, and physical diseases. While EFT is newly set to revolutionize the field of health and wellness, the healing concepts that it's based upon have been in practice in Eastern medicine for over 5,000 years. Like acupuncture and acupressure, Tapping is a set of techniques which utilize the body's energy meridian points. You can stimulate these meridian points by tapping on them with your fingertips – literally tapping into your body's own energy and healing power.
Your body is more powerful than you can imagine… filled with life, energy, and a compelling ability for self-healing. With EFT, you can take control of that power.
So Does EFT Help Everyone, 100%?
It has been found at our is that there are two main cases where the process either does not work or gives only temporary relief. The first is in the case of unaddressed (ignored) secondary gain, (see next chapter). For example I had a middle aged lady complaining of knee pain, and EFT could give only temporary relief. After a bit of interrogation we could extract that she is enjoying the attention and company of her husband or Son to take her around in their vehicle due to her knee problem, and she need not go through the discomfort of taking Auto or Bus. After realizing this she consciously chose the pain free life over the comfort ride and did the EFT for few weeks and gotten out of her Knee problem. The body-mind has its own intelligence and adheres to its warning function when required. The second is in the case of a physical illness or problem which requires other medical/therapeutic intervention. For example , someone with damaged knee caps or something like that, only proper medical intervention can help.
Surprisingly, the severity of the pain or the condition does not seem to have a bearing on the effectiveness of EFT. A chronic, severe pain can clear just as quickly as a non-chronic, minor pain. The essential variable in predicting success seems to be complexity.
If a problem or issue has many roots, or causes, then each one may have to be addressed prior to noticing real improvement.
Do I Still Need to See a Doctor?
Where there is serious physical illness, it is wise to work closely with your medical practitioner, chiropractor, whatever. By doing so you enhance the effectiveness of your healing, as meridian therapy enables the body to more fully respond to medical treatment. It is irresponsible not to get all the help available to us.
How Can Emotions Have Anything to Do with Physical Illness?
Our language is littered with references to non-physical, or emotional, causes for physical pain or effect:
She’s a pain in the neck
He’s a pain in the butt
She makes my skin crawl
Fit to bust
It’s just eating me up
More and more science is catching up with the spiritual wisdom of thousands of years, and medical/scientific books, articles and journals abound with information relating to how thought affects every chemical reaction or health system within the body.
We really do hold the keys to our own health and happiness if only we will realize that our health or ill health is our own creation, and not something foisted upon us.
Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) -The Basic Recipe
- Where in your body do you feel the emotional issue most strongly?
- Determine the distress level : Always begin with a self-estimate of discomfort using a scale from zero to 10. We call this the 0-to-10 intensity Scale. The discomfort being measured can be physical, such as headache pain or a craving, or it can be an emotion such as fear, anxiety,depression or anger.
- Setup Statement : Rub sore spot in a circular motion saying the set-up statement :
“Even though ……(insert chosen problem statement)…… I deeply and completely accept myself.” Repeat 3 times whilst continually rubbing the sore spot- or karate chop point.
- Start Tapping :
- Bunch fingers and tap on the crown.
- At beginning of eyebrow, just above and one side of the nose. Abbreviated EB for beginning of the Eyebrow.
- On the bone bordering the outside corner of the eye. This point is abbreviated SE for side of the Eye.
- On the bone under an eye about 1 inch below your pupil. This point is abbreviated UE for under the Eye
- On the small area between the bottom of nose and top lip. Abbreviated of upper UN for under the Nose.
- Midway between point of chin and bottom of your lower lip. Even though it is directly on the point of the chin, we call it chin point because it is descriptive enough for people to understand easily. Abbreviated Ch for Chin
- The junction where stemum (breastbone), collarbone and first rib meet. To locate: first place your forefingers on the U- shaped notch at the top of the breastbone (about where a man would knot his lie). From bottom of the U, move your forefingers down toward navel 1 inch and then go to left (or right) 1 inch. Abbreviated CB for collarbone even though it is
- not on the collarbone (or clavicle) per se.
- A very important point, in acupuncture is referred to as K27 (kidney) On the side of the body, at a point even with the nipple (for men) or in the middle of the bra strap (for women). It is about 4 inches below the armpit. This point is abbreviated UA for under the Arm.
- Fingers: be sure to tap on the side of the finger – in alignment with the base of the nail.
- THE 9 GAMUT – fine tunings
For the 9- Gamut, we tap continuously on the point between the fourth and the fifth knuckle (either hand – see picture). This point is known by various names: Tri-heater, Triple Warmer, Gamut Spot, etc.
While you do this, focus as continuously as you can on the issue and go through the following nine steps:
Repeat the Tapping sequence 2-3 times.
- Close eyes.
- Open eyes.
- Look down hard right (keep head straight)
- Look down hard left
- Roll eyes clockwise (right around in your skill as far as they can go)
- Roll eyes anti- clockwise
- Hum (a little bit of “Happy Birthday” will do nicely)
- Hum again
- Hum (a little bit of “Happy Birthday” will do nicely)
- Cleansing Breath :Then gently close your thymus point (in the middle of the breast bone) by cupping your both palms for the count of seven breaths. Breath in through nose and breathe out through mouth. And DRINK WATER.
- Subsequent RoundsMeasure your intensity on SUDS scale 1-10. Has it changed? Do you need to change the set- up statement? Repeat the tapping sequence and 9 Gamut using an altered reminder phrase:“Even though I still have some of this remaining …… (problem statement)…… I deeply and completely accept myself.”